The Adventures Of An American Woman On An Organic Farm In Scotland

Friday, June 16, 2006

This is a bere bannock


A poke o' bere meal, a bere bannock and a plate full o' bere meal.

One of Erlend's favorite foods in the universe is the trusty ol' bere bannock: a flat bread made out of "bere meal." What is bere meal?? An ancient grain with a very rich and strong flavor. Here's how Wikipedia describes it:

"Beremeal is a whole grain flour made from bere, a variety of barley grown in northern Scotland, Orkney, and the Shetland Islands. It is commonly used in making bannocks and ale."

I still haven't managed to get it right. Every bere bannock I attempt to create becomes either hard as a rock, burned to cinders or rubbery as a bounced check.

I did manage to create a perfect Chinese Fighting Bannock though...

No comments: