The Adventures Of An American Woman On An Organic Farm In Scotland

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Gardening and Farm pictures!



This is what a typical Orcadian ultra wind-proof byre (barn) looks like. They are built to withstand the pounding rains and gale-force winds of winter! These puppies are SOLID.


One of our farm roads.
Here is one of our Angus bulls, "Prince Chan."
Here is Prince Chan up close. He's been rubbing his face in the dirt and just now noticed that I'm available for some neck scratches. In wich he indulged.
Here is my beautiful Walled Garden...a tad bit on the eh...wild side.
My first two lambs, Sigured and Swayne.
Here are some lovely flowers growing under the kitchen window.
My lovely Sweet Rocket.
Here is a close-up of my "Livingroom Tomatoes." I won't have a greenhoose until next spring so...Erlend planted them in April and we've been nursing them along in the windows! So far so good...
Some American imports :-)

3 comments:

Distant Timbers Echo said...

Your bonnie cottage is sooooo beautiful!

Heidi the Hick said...

I love, love, love your place! And I have to say that I think it's very nice how much care you're giving Dinner and Tea. Few of us get a chance to thank our food!

Michelle Therese said...

Wellll....I have tae admit that I'm a wee bit biased mysel and think MY COTTAGE IS BONNIE TOO!!! hehehehe!! I love it here. I swear...I feel like I'm living in some kind of enchanted garden or something. I'm SO happy here!

As for the animals, to me they are very sacred. Everything is sacred: the trees and the garden plants, the animals (even the rats in the byres!) and most of all, the animals that "give themselves" for us to eat like sheep and cattle. So when I can (if I'm here at the farm) I personally thank each animal that's sent off for slaughter. Erlend gives his cattle a very good life. They are treated very gently and given the best of foods, lots of room to run and play and given top notch medical care when needed. I can feel comfortable living on a working beef farm where most of the young kye (cattle) are sent off to slaughtered. I see this all as a part of the "Circle Of Life" to quote The Lion King!!