Oh what a bonnie day it is today! The sheep are grazing (I can hear the sheep bells tinkling in the near distance...) the cows are all out basking in the sun and the farmers are scrambling like mad to mow and harvest their June crop of grass! They'll take this grass and dump it in the big silage pits so that it ferments and can be used all winter long for cattle and sheep feed.(Silage: think along the lines of sauerkraut...) In this photo Erlend is driving the tractor up and down the heap of freshly mown-and-dumped grass in the silage pit. If you look at the back of the tractor you see the "buck rake" that he uses to move grass from down bottom to up top. When the silage harvest is over we then cover the pit with that black plastic and weigh it all down with zillions of old tires. And then the grass spends until about October fermenting away!
2 comments:
Sounds like fun, Michelle! :) Even with all the hard work, you're living such a rewarding life there!
I'm posting on both your blogs because I'm not sure that it took on "things that go moo in the night".
Okay, what is "silage" grass? I've never heard of it till I read your blog. What does it compare to in the U.S.? Is it like our straw?
Post a Comment