THE LAST DAY OF 2006 !!!!!!
Today I will celebrate my very first Hogmanay! This is what they call New Year here in Scotland/Orkney. I quizzed Frances about Hogmanay and First footing. Frances visited on her pony Thorfinn. She often stops by on Thorfinn and taps on the front door with her crop from here lofty perch in the saddle. (Sadly we don't have room in our stable for Thorfinn at the moment so she's stuck visiting outside in the weather!) He's a lovely pony - I give him plenty of scratches and pets while I visit with his human.
I asked Frances about this Hogmanay and First Footing. Apparently Hogmanay is New Year. First Footing refers to all of the visiting that takes place over the next three days. From what I've gathered Hogmanay and First Footing was very popular because folk were not able to celebrate Christmas. (Calvinism at its best!) But the emphasis on Hogmanay/First Footing is starting to fade a bit now that it's ok to celebrate Christmas. I hope it doesn't fade away too much because it sure seems like a fun way to bring in the New Year!!
I just hope people don't try and force me to drink. I hate drinking. I'll have a glass of wine or a bit of drink here and there - but lots of drinking just isn't my thing.
2 comments:
I still hope to make it out for Hogmanay some year! Tell everyone I said "Happy New Year!!!!"
Beeeeeek!!! It's so good to see you here again hehehe! I'm up and running. But the honeymoon blog refuses to work.
Do you like the new GREEN GREEN GREEN look?? The arching cat is King Tut. I took the photey when he first met Zeb haha!
Post a Comment